Submission Guidelines for CHRISTMAS OF THE DEAD
CHRISTMAS OF THE DEAD
Anthology of Christmas Horror Stories
Wicked Shadow Press invites Christmas-themed horror fiction submissions for publication in its anthology "Christmas of the Dead" (Expected release: December 2023). The final date of submission is December 02, 2023
We seek horror stories distinctly set in the enchanting backdrop of late December's holiday season. While our anthology's title resonates with the rich traditions of Christmas, we subtly encourage a broader canvas. Your story may elegantly weave elements of Hanukkah, engage with ancient Pagan rituals, or even unravel amidst secular celebrations characteristic of this time. The crux is to capture the unique, sometimes mystical, always memorable atmosphere of this festive period, with Christmas at its heart yet open to the diverse tapestry of late December festivities.
Feel free to take inspiration from one of our writing prompts below:
1. A child receives a mysterious gift on Christmas Eve, triggering strange and sinister occurrences around the house.
2. At a Christmas party, a psychologist shares a story about a patient whose delusions took him to were eerily linked to an ancient solstice ritual.
3. Stranded in a mall during a Christmas Eve blizzard, people are forced to confront a supernatural entity that reflects their deepest holiday fears and desires.
4. A journalist probes a strange Christmas Eve tradition in a remote estate, rumored to be a facade for a dark pagan ceremony.
5. Astronomers at a Christmas party in an observatory, experience otherworldly phenomena following a celestial event, blending holiday cheer with cosmic terror.
6. A Christmas-themed park turns into a horrifying hunting ground as a Krampus-inspired figure begins stalking and targeting guests.
All Horror sub-genres are invited
WE ARE ACCEPTING
Fiction: (between 1500-8000 words) Please send no more than ONE story per submission.
Flash Fiction: (between 50-1500 words) Please send no more than TWO flash fictions per submission.
We are accepting TRANSLATED WORKS as well. Submission of translated works must be accompanied by a statement declaring that the translator has obtained the author’s permission and their publisher’s, if required.
Simultaneous Submissions are welcome but the author must inform us by e-mail as soon as the submitted piece is accepted elsewhere. Pieces cannot be withdrawn once Wicked Shadow Press informs the author of its acceptance for publication.
We consider reprints but generally do not publish them unless they are absolutely exceptional. Please mention in the mail body in case your submission is a reprint.
At present, we are unable to pay our contributors. Each contributor shall receive a COMPLIMENTARY DIGITAL COPY of the anthology as soon as it publishes.
Manuscripts should directly be sent to WickedShadowPress@gmail.com. Please write Submission for CHRISTMAS in the subject line of your submission email.
Please submit your files in the following formats: .doc /.docx /.txt. DO NOT submit PDFs.
Wicked Shadow Press uses non exclusive rights to publish in its anthologies. Authors are free to republish their work anywhere else once it has been published.
Please submit only original pieces. Wicked Shadow Press or the editor/s of the anthology shall not be responsible for any disputes arising due to plagiarism or copyright infringement.
Each piece MUST be attached with a short bio of the author, preferably within 100 words, and if possible, a photograph to go along with publication.
NOTE: We typically reply within a month after receiving submissions. However, replies can be delayed under unforeseen circumstances.